In the world of houseplants, flowering kalanchoe (aka ‘Flaming Katy’) is having its moment, offering even more opportunity to add life and colour to your home.
This month The Plant Based Podcast has partnered with Always Kalanchoe , the Netherlands based experts who represents the European breeders and growers of kalanchoes) to tell us why this colourful plant is back on trend…
- Flowering houseplants are making a comeback! Green has been on trend for a while, but colourful, flowering houseplants are making a comeback and Flaming Katy is one of the most colourful out there – available in an array of mood-boosting colours from vivid pinks, bright oranges, and vibrant yellows through to creamy whites and pale pinks.
- Colourful succulents are a cut above!Succulents have been around for a while, but flowering succulents are a bit different and kalanchoes come in an impressive array of varieties from the colourful, double flowering ‘Flaming Katy’ to the tall, majestic ‘Magic Bells’ or the impressive ‘Dolly.’
- They’re an easy house guest: As a succulent, kalanchoes are great ‘go away and leave them’ plant as they need very little looking after – just a weekly water will do – perfect for first time plant parents or those with little time on their hands! Just pop them in a sunny spot and they will be happy.
- They make a great gift. Step aside roses…Kalanchoes are one of the most attractive flowering houseplants out there. The double flowering ‘Flaming Katy’ with their pretty rosebud effect make a long lasting alternative to a bunch of flowers.
- They bloom for at least 10 weeks. Unlike a bunch of flowers that lasts just a few days, Kalanchoes will keep on giving you joy for longer. In fact, they will stay in bloom for more than 10 weeks with little watering required.
- They can help you sleep better! Kalanchoes are night-time oxygenators, meaning they release oxygen at night which could help promote a deeper and more restful sleep.
- They’re easy to find all year round: One of the great things about kalanchoes is that they aren’t too exotic so are pretty easy to find. In fact, you can pick up kalanchoes from most garden centres or supermarkets, and with price tags from just £2 for a ‘Flaming Katy’ they are great value too.
- They’re grown responsibly: Not all plants are green in the same way. But Kalanchoe growers meet the strictest standards set by the Floriculture Sustainability Initiative (FSI). This means they purify and recycle their water, they only use responsible methods for pest control and feeding, and they are working hard at reducing the use of peat in potting soil. You can find out more at www.kalanchoe.nl/en/info/sustainably-cultivated/
Kalanchoe ‘Flaming Katy’ are widely available from UK florists, garden centres and supermarkets.
To find out more about kalanchoes, visit Always Kalanchoe www.kalanchoe.nl/en or follow @alwayskalanchoe on Instagram